top of page


Deferring Your Property Taxes


You may be able to receive a low interest loan from the B.C. provincial government to pay your current year property taxes for your principle residence.  Applications for the Tax Deferment Programs will be available from the Provincial Tax Deferment Office in mid-May.

Residents who apply to defer their property taxes are still responsible to pay their annual utility bill, claim their home owner grant and pay any user fees showing on their tax notice. 


There are 2 programs you may qualify for:


Regular Program

You may qualify for a deferment program if you are a homeowner who is

  • over 55 years old during the current tax year

  • a surviving spouse of any age

  • a person with a disability

Review full details and how to qualify for the Regular Deferment Program.

Families with Children Program

If you are a homeowner who is financially supporting a dependent child under age 18, you may defer your taxes if you certify that the child:

  • lives full time with you, on your eligible property, or

  • lives part time with you, under a shared custody arrangement, or

  • does not live with you, but you pay support for the child or are responsible for fees and/or living costs if attending school.

Review full details and how to qualify for the families With Children (FC) Deferment Program.


Renewing your Property Tax Deferment


The Province has implemented a NEW process for Deferment Renewals in that your renewal is to be done through their website (listed above). It is NOT to be turned into the Village Office. The Village Office will have a self-serve kiosk available for those who do not have computer access to complete their deferment renewals.

If you haven't set up automatic renewal, you must apply to renew your tax deferment agreement after May 1 of each year or pay the next year's taxes to your property tax office.

If you have set up automatic renewal, then no further action is needed. You can check the status of your renewal through your eTaxBC account

You can apply to renew your agreement once you’ve received your property tax notice. You have until December 31 of the current year to apply; however, we suggest you apply before the property tax due date to avoid late payment penalties.

bottom of page